Are your students looking for a good book? INFOhio's Book Nook includes hundreds of student-created book trailers for fiction and nonfiction books grades K–12.
If you are currently automated with INFOhio's Library Services Platform (LSP) and use ISearch or Fetch, you may have noticed a link to Book Nook appearing for various titles.
Book trailers are automatically linked to items in the catalog that match on the title's ISBN. INFOhio hand enters ISBNs in Book Nook when a trailer is created, but new editions are published all the time so it is possible an ISBN is missing. This might mean that your copy of a title doesn't have a link to Book Nook and that's where you come in! It is possible to edit the bibliographic record of a title to include a link to a Book Nook trailer. Follow these steps to add a link in your library's online catalog to an existing Book Nook book trailer. You do not have to be automated with INFOhio's LSP to add a link to a trailer in your online catalog. As long as you can edit the bibliographic information of a record by adding an 856 tag, you can add a link to a Book Nook book trailer.
To add an 856 tag to link to a Book Nook book trailer, follow these steps:
- To start, head to Book Nook and find a book trailer that you would like to link to from your online catalog. If you are automated with INFOhio's LSP, please check your catalog first to make sure a link isn't already available.
- Use the Search button to find a specific title or click All to browse all of the available book trailers. Select the title to view the trailer.
- If you decide to add this trailer to your online catalog, click the 856 tag button in green.
- Copy the link that appears on the screen. Be sure to include the full tagline.
- Now, open up your cataloging software. If you are automated with INFOhio's LSP, head to Workflows or BLUEcloud Cataloging.
- Once you've accessed your cataloging software, search for the title you would like to add the Book Nook link to and locate the bibliographic information.
- If using BLUEcloud Cataloging, choose Edit Record to access the bibliographic information for a title.
- If cataloging in Workflows, navigate to Modify Title and access the bibliographic information from there.
- Scroll through the bib record until you reach the location of the 856 tag. Depending on your record, there may be existing 856 tags already.
- Add a new field to the record where a new 856 tag would be located.
- In the new empty field box, type 856. Enter 4 as the first indicator and 2 as the second indicator. Paste the rest of the 856 tag into the Contents field.
- Save. The book trailer link has now been added to your bibliographic record.
- If necessary, wait until your online catalog has been harvested to check for the Book Nook link to appear.
- Using ISearch as an example for those automated with INFOhio's LSP, search for the title you just added the 856 tag to and click to open the title details. Locate the heading of Electronic Access and click on the link "Book Nook Video Trailer". A new window will open with the matching book trailer in Book Nook.
- Students can access the book trailer and review the title to decide if they would like to read it.
Students can create and submit their own created book trailers to Book Nook, check out Pitch the Paper with INFOhio's Book Nook for more details. We hope you are excited about Book Nook and the book trailers that are available for your students to explore to help them find their next great read!
If you have any questions about adding an 856 tag to link to a Book Nook book trailer in your online catalog, please reach out to your regional ITC Library Support Staff. For other questions, comments, and additional support contact INFOhio at support.infohio.org.